Building a custom home can be a daunting task if you’re not prepared and willing to put forth the time and attention required to select the property, style, size and features that fit your desires and budget.
I believe the most important phase of any construction process is always the Pre-Construction phase because that is when the goals, expectations and design concepts are worked out prior to any shovel hitting the ground. That’s why I developed this “Pre-Construction Considerations for Building a Custom Home” guide. This guide is meant to provide you a framework or checklist of items that must be considered prior to ever breaking ground.
- Does property meet my location, size, accessibility and budget requirements?
- Are there extraordinary conditions on property that limit development?
- Is there developed road and utility service available for construction?
- Does the property require special preparation in order to gain access?
- Realistic budget including all related development categories, such as:
- Lot purchase: Lot cost, real estate agent, bank, surveys, inspections, etc.
- Site Work: grading, fencing, landscaping, exterior amenities, etc.
- Water Features: Swimming pool, hot tub, Koi Pond, water fountains, etc
- Driveway, Flatwork, walkways, pathways, etc.
- Residential structure and interior improvements.
- Utilities: Municipal connections, septic, water supply, power, etc.
- Soft Costs: Construction Rep, Designer, Engineer, Permitting, etc.
- Do I need help in making pre-construction decisions?
- Will property be financed with home or two separate transactions, cash deals?
- Pre-approved for home construction and budget amount and selected bank?
- What is my expected project duration? Lot Selection, Pre-construction, Construction.
- Style of home and grounds.
- Custom design or standard plan.
- Placement or layout of Home on property.
- Impact of sun and seasons on placement of home.
- How many floors - Single-story, 2 story, basement, attic do I desire?
- Preference with slab-on-grade, piers or stem wall construction?
- Particular views or property characteristic I want to take advantage of
- Septic and well locations relative to home, driveway and site improvements.
- Municipal building permits and inspections or private inspections, associated costs.
- Are there any tasks I want to perform or manage myself?
- How does on-site and off-site drainage affect subject property and home placement?
- Any special features that must be included in home or property improvements?
- What home features do I want to be contiguous to one another?
- What size garage, carport? Any exterior or separate sheds/shops?
- Fireplace (s)
- What level of finishes, including flooring, tile, etc. am I expecting?
- What level of kitchen and bath cabinets, countertops, appliances, etc. am I expecting?
- How much landscaping and exterior improvements am I desiring?
- How flexible is my budget and selections? Prioritize desires by High, Med and Low
- Do I require or welcome representation during any portion of construction?
- Have builder create design or separate architect/designer?
- Develop preliminary conceptual floor plans, sketches and layouts for review and pricing.
- Pre-qualify, Interview and select builder.
- Value engineering aspects of project that appear to be out of budget allotments
- Are there any conflicts between site work, home, budget and adjoining properties?
Now that you’ve worked through all of the Pre-construction considerations, you are ready to embark on the next great adventure of your life... construction.
The construction phase is not included in this guide as construction is a much more exhaustive process and is addressed in a separate guide. Please contact Mahan Construction Consulting & Management for a copy of the construction guide.
Please do not hesitate to contact Mahan Construction Consulting & Management for support with any or all of the above items noted in this guide.